Monday, June 8, 2009

Deep Sea Diving

When diving, divers repeatedly go down until the pressure gets too high, then come up a bit where there is less, and equalize pressure before going deeper.

When exploring postures, most people experience an edge, and make the somewhat logical conclusion that they have come to the limit of their abilities, and stop there. Whether that limit is strength, endurance, flexibility, whatever.

I practice honoring the occurance of limitation without identifying with it, which would make that limitation part of my identity, part of me, and with me until I stop identifying with it. So I go until I feel pressure, back off to where I can equalize and breathe, then dive deeper.

I want to make something clear - I've heard recently from students about my encouraging them to push beyond their edges. I want to be extra clear now and from now on - that is not what I meant. It is potentially harmful to go beyond your edges. Back off, equalize and breathe, the edge may expand.

Like in geometry, edges are what define your shape. Knowing yourself at your edge is part of knowing yourself, so it is part of the self-inquiry that yoga is. Stay extra present when you are at your edge, notice your tendencies, and breathe. This will tend to expand your edges - encourage growth. You can do this WITHOUT going past any edges.

The Pratyabhijna Hrdayam - a favorite text of many of my favorite teachers including John Friend and Sophia Diaz - says "The bliss of Consciousness is attained through expansion of the center". Explore you edge, draw your awareness back to your center, and breathe to expand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment